Camp Stanislaus Marks 25th Summer
Brother Peter started the camp in 1928, to create a place of fun and character formation, setting its high standards and making it the most sought-after camp in the South. Thirty Brothers supervised 200 boys at the summer camp in 1953. Taking advantage of its water front, Camp Stanislaus offered fishing, swimming, sailing, rowing, boating, and skiing. Other main activities included archery, horseback riding, rifles, boxing, tennis, and hiking as well as indoor activities of pool, ping-pong, hobbies, and crafts.
Yearbook CaptureS Campus Life in 50s
Started in 1956 the student yearbook, The White Cap, portrayed well the life of St. Stanislaus students during its five years of publication.
1966 — 1976
Brother Lee Barker Leads Schools Through Tumultuous Times
When Brother Lee Barker took over in 1996, SSC faced effects of significant civil rights changes in the country and major religious changes in the Church and the Second Vatican Council. With much help from the SVDs at the local seminary, the faculty and dormitory were quietly integrated in 1967 without fanfare or incident. The Religion program was overhauled, and the chapel was modified to accommodate the new liturgy. The number of resident students increased to 215 to a capacity of 300, and total enrollment grew from 380 to 640. Brother Lee dealt well with the m any challenges of building a new school, hiring lay staff, inviting OLA girls to classes at SSC, and helping older Brothers retire.
In 1968 the SSC yearbook resumed publication under the title Reflection with Brother William Boyles as faculty advisor. Students dedicated their first edition to Brother Loyola Mattingly, well respected teacher of Religion, Latin, French, and social studies.
Hurricane Camille Crashes into College
Hurricane Camille slammed into St. Stanislaus College the night of August 17, 1969. High winds and rain damaged every building, especially the three front ones, stripping slates from roofs, toppling the cupola, and blowing out windows. Brothers worked around the clock so that the start of the school year was delayed only two weeks while waiting for utilities to be restored. Brother Pierre pushed ahead the 10-year capital campaign and building program that had been launched two years earlier.
Kleinpeter-Gibbens Library Dedication
Completion of the library which occupied the first floor of the chapel building, was delayed by Hurricane Camille. The new library was dedicated May 24, 1970. The library was dedicated in memory of Mr. Leon Kleinpeter, Sr., ’13, and his wife Mrs. Lillian Gibbens Kleinpeter.
Olympic Pool & Swim Team Debut
Constructed in 1970 at a cost of $55,000, SSC’s Olympic-sized swimming pool has been a welcome addition to the campus. Brother Albert Ledet coached the first SSC swim team in 1970-71, and the College hosted the first interscholastic state tournament in its new pool in 1972. SSC finished first in diving and third in swimming in that state-sanctioned competition.
New $1.6M School Completed
Designed to accommodate 600 students in regular classrooms, the modern building included on its second floor a large resource center (the Brother Alexis Klee Memorial Resource Center), an audio-visual room, and various laboratories for sciences, languages, reading, and art. The financing for the new building came as a result of a small business loan, insurance money from Hurricane Camille, and the funds pledged through the progression program.